A Journey of Faith

Sunday, October 30, 2011

HUGE snowstorm... in October

So last night, with the last of October fading away, we got (are you ready for this...) 22 inches of snow. Cold, wet, heavy, white (did I mention cold?) snow. And our power went out. Around 11 or 12 last night. and is still out (thank goodness for my hubby's handiness, and a handed down generator, at least we have lights and internet, but no heat. Thanks to our well insulated walls it is still around 60 degrees inside). PSNH's recording says it may be days, or as much as a week, before it is back on. Thank Heaven for my dear friend down the road who has power and graciously welcomed me and three of the kids to come down, warm up, me to shower, and cook our dinner. Oh, and I got filled up on cuteness by her awesome kids who are always full of fun stories and hugs. Now I am sitting in my bed, bundled up, with my warm comfy comforter, a full belly of warm tasty food, clean, and feeling fully and completely blessed. Funny how GOD can take a day that started out fairly miserable (did I mention snow is cold and wet. And cold... sorry, I have been shivery today) and turn it into a reminder of how many things I have to be thankful for. I didn't get to go to church today, but I did complete most of the weeks work in the Bible study I am doing, and I can go to church Wednesday. I couldn't do any dishes, laundry, vacuuming, or ironing; but maybe GOD was making sure I got that much needed day of rest that is too often so allusive. Our cable is out, so I can't surf the channels, but my oldest is sitting next to me and we are watching The Spy Next Door (I keep listening to the scene where Jackie Chan is singing in Chinese and trying to see if I recognize any of the words. No luck yet...)Tomorrow we may still have no power, but there will be fewer distractions that way, and we can focus on getting as much schoolwork done as we can and maybe play a game in the afternoon. Maybe if I am really lucky most of the snow will melt in the next few days. Or maybe I'll have to choose to find some joy in the snow. Hmmm. Maybe I'm not quite ready for that yet...

No comments: