A Journey of Faith

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Psalm 100

A Psalm of Thanksgiving

Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands!
Serve the LORD with gladness;
Come before HIS presence with singing.
Know that the LORD, HE is GOD;
It is HE who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are HIS people and the sheep of HIS pasture.

Enter HIS gates with thanksgiving,
and into HIS courts with praise.
Be thankful to HIM and bless HIS name.
For the LORD is good;
HIS mercy is everlasting,
And HIS truth endures to all generations.




I love this psalm, partly because although I can't sing on key I love to sing. And I especially love to sing hymns and praise and worship music. But do I always enter HIS courts with praise and thanksgiving? How many Sundays have we rolled into the parking lot and all I am thinking is, 'oh man, we are late... grrrr'. Do I thank HIM for my family seated in the car with me? Do I thank HIM that we arrived safely, even if we are later than I would like (which admitedly is not really late at all, just not as early as I would like)? Do I thank HIM that I am even able to attend a worship service in the first place, with my whole family? How many people can't physically get themselves to church? How many have family who can't, or won't attend with them? I often think of one of my greatest joys. In our church the choir sits behind the pulpit and from there I can see the congregation. Since I often play cds with hymn music, my kids are pretty familiar with quite a few hymns. Few things bring me more joy than to watch my oldest son singing with all his heart to one of his favorite hymns (like his mom he has many!). My greatest prayer is that my kids grow up knowing the LORD, and putting their trust in HIM. What a blessing!

My prayer for today:

LORD, thank YOU for all the blessings you have given me. Thank YOU for friends and family, for health and safety. Thank YOU for the opportunity to be with my kids and raise them to know and love YOU. Thank YOU for the little joys that are there, if I will only take a moment to notice them. Mostly, thank YOU for Your Son, and the hope that we have because of HIM. In JESUS' name I pray. Amen

No comments: