A Journey of Faith

Friday, July 20, 2012

The Summons

The Summons (John Bell # 2130 in The Faith We Sing hymnal)


verses 1,2, 4, and 5


Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown, will you let my name be known, 
Will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?


Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stares 
should your life attract or scare? 
Will you let ME answer prayer in you and you in ME?


Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear you hide and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around, 
through My sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?


LORD, Your summons echoes true when You but call my name.
Let me turn and follow You and never be the same.
In Your company I'll go, where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in You and You in me.


I have loved this hymn for years, it's one of the ones I have learned to play. I love the tune, but the words speak volumes. Will we follow HIM when HE calls us? Will we go wherever HE leads, even if it is somewhere we never pictured going, or something we never imagined we could or would do? Even if that means leaving ourselves behind, and facing leaving behind those who won't or can't support us in our decision to follow HIM? Will we spread the news of HIS amazing love, and HIS unending grace? Even if doing all that HE asks means loving who HE made us... flaws and all? Even if it means facing fears that we have always tucked away so that we can change the world for HIM. It doesn't matter if we only change our little part of the world... if we are doing what HE asks, it is enough. When we listen for that small voice, when we follow HIM, our lives will never -ever- be the same.

No comments: