A Journey of Faith

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pocket Rocks

I started something recently. I began collecting rocks and writing Bible verses on them (well, mostly Bible verses... I have one that says 'Let go and Let GOD' and one that is heart shaped that has my husbands initials and mine, and says tla (true love always)). Every day I think about what has been on my heart, or what I have been struggling with, and find a rock (or two or three or more!) that will help me with that particular struggle, and I carry those rocks in my pocket. I'm finding that it really helps to have GOD's word in my pocket, ready to reassure me and remind me that whatever the situation, GOD has words of comfort and power for me to claim.

Last night I led the midweek service at church for the first time. I was nervous, and chose about a dozen rocks (too many by the way, they were weighing down my pants!). I chose ones like "Do not be anxious about anything" (Phil. 4:6a) and "GOD did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and love and of self discipline". Also... Matthew 19:26 (With GOD all things are possible"), Isaiah 41:13 (For I am the LORD your GOD who takes hold of your right hand and says to you 'do not fear, I will help you'), and Gen. 18:14 (Is anything too hard for GOD?). It was very comforting to have HIS word right there where I could read them and feel HIS comfort. When it was time to do the service, it was much easier than I thought it would be. Pastor's husband had to remind me once to speak up, but other than that I think it went well! I really concentrated on speaking clearly (I tend to speak very quickly when I am nervous) and being loud enough for everyone to hear. I think it was good that I had the chance to do it, I am doing the Sunday service the beginning of July, and I think it will be a little easier now that I have had a little practice. And I was surprised to realize that I kind of enjoyed it :).

No comments: