A Journey of Faith

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Waiting Patiently

The two littlest ducklings and I went to a work day at 'our' camp yesterday. As I was walking to the porch on the rec hall I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, so I slowed down to investigate. There were four (possibly 5) little baby groundhogs!!! Of course anything baby gets my attention, but I love watching baby animals. They just have so little apprehension when it comes to anything that doesn't threaten them. Before lunch I had a few free minutes, so I just sat down about 6 feet from their 'home' and waited. Before long I was rewarded for my patience with the sight of their cute little noses poking out to smell for danger. I guess I wasn't scary, because they slowly inched their way out, until one was close enough I could have reached out and grabbed it for a quick cuddle (nope, I didn't, wasn't sure where Mama was). As long as I was patient, and still, they were content to come out of hiding and enjoy a meal of grass and whatever that plant is to the right of them in the picture. The minute I tried too hard, or moved too quickly, they would scurry back into the safety of their home. In the twenty minutes that I sat there, I was able to really watch them quite closely. I could see the softness of their fur, and the brightness of their eyes. I got to watch as one stretched his tired little muscles, getting comfy and relaxed after his big meal. And, of course, it got me thinking. Yeah, that happens a lot.
Being still is the biggest challenge for me in my faith. I want everything to happen now!!!! And I often feel like I need to do something to make it happen. I am rarely content to just sit by and wait, even for GOD to show me the way. I hear a sermon, and something in it sticks with me, and I have to read and read and read as much as I can find, until I feel like I have a better handle on it. I guess that is good, but being still and waiting for GOD to teach me is not usually something I think of or practice.
The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still. Exodus 14:14
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him. Psalm 37:7a

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10
I guess the trick is finding the balance. Finding the balance between overloading on everything I can get my hands on, and doing nothing. Between searching and listening. And between doing and waiting.  I don't think we are always suppose to sit and wait, we are suppose to learn all we can about HIM and HIS word so that we are  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. 1 Peter 3:15. But we aren't suppose to be so busy that we can't hear HIS voice speaking to our hearts.
Today was Pentacost Sunday. It is a remembrance of the day that JESUS sent the Holy Spirit to be with us until HIS return. I sat there thinking about the Holy Spirit. About how it must be different for different people. Pastor was talking to the kids about it, and was explaining how the Holy Spirit nudges us sometimes. I like that word... nudges. I can think of a few times that I did something that I wouldn't have done, tucked my spare van key into my pocket before an outing... only to have the key I was using break while I was trying to get all the kids loaded into the car. Or the time I kept feeling 'nudged' to give a Sister in Christ some coupons I had for free milk and groceries... to have her tear up and thank me because she didn't have the money to buy groceries that week. Or the many times, when my friend was recovering from an injury or illness that I called at supper time and asked if they needed supper, because I had made too much, to have her thank me profusely because she hadn't had the energy to cook something yet. Nudges. Not fanfare, just gentle nudges. I often think 'man, I wish the Holy Spirit would  be more 'vocal' in my life', and then I miss all those little things that are a blessing to me, and that allow me to be a blessing to others. I know people that gush on about how they experience spiritual 'fireworks', how they sometimes feel overcome by the spirit. I think that's great, and if GOD chooses to bless me in that way, that would be awesome. But I haven't had that experience. My moments are quiet, usually nudging me to be more aware, or more generous, or more patient to wait on HIS timing. I occasionally have moments of "oh!!!! I get it!!! it makes sense!!!!".I love those moments, because it's like finding that piece of the puzzle that was missing. But the little, quiet moments add up to a beautiful picture too. An amazing masterpiece by the Master.





No comments: