A Journey of Faith

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Whatever...

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8 KJV

We live in a world where there is a constant assault on our attempts to remain pure at heart. I was watching tv with my daughter yesterday, a show about animal rescue officers. Now tell my why it is necessary to show half naked people (just random shots of people's bodies, not having anything to do with the show) in a show about rescuing animals? Why do we as a society not respect the human body, instead seeing it as a showpiece? I'm not saying that we should be ashamed of the body GOD gave us, but HE meant it to be cherished by the one HE has for us, not the whole world. Add to that the constant barrage of foul language, impure motives, and disrespect for GOD and HIS ways, it's no wonder that many people have a hard time 'thinking on' the things of this world that are just, pure, lovely, of good report, and worthy of praise. People laugh when my kids and I are watching a show or movie (or just walking along and see an advertisement), if there is something inappropriate (scantily dressed people seems to be the biggest problem) I only have to say 'eyes' and they cover their eyes or look away. I have gotten a lot of grumbling from family that I am being silly, it's no big deal. Well, I disagree, it is a big deal. I want my kids to remain pure, in their hearts and in their minds, for as long as they can. I want them to see their bodies and minds as something GOD has blessed them with, to use for HIS glory.
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the HOLY SPIRIT, who is in you, whom you have received from GOD? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor GOD with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

No comments: