A Journey of Faith

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

And the Sea Obeyed...


And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.
24 And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.
25 And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.
26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
27 But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him! Matthew 8:23-27


This was the scripture for the mid week service tonight. The message was that we can trust that JESUS is trustworthy, that HE has authority to not only calm the stormy seas, but to calm the storms that can threaten to drown us. 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Matthew 28:18


The seas obeyed HIM. They calmed immediately... no debating whether it was the right thing to do, no seeking outside counsel and second opinions. No studying the situation to chart a doable course of action. They just stopped. I often tell my kids... just obey. Don't argue, debate, negotiate, or attempt to convince me your plan is better than mine. Just obey. But do I just obey CHRIST? Or do I argue (well, JESUS, I hear you, but I don't like that plan, speaking in church is taking me too far out of my box), debate (Ok, GOD, but do I really have to  get up in front of everyone again, I mean I just did it and...), negotiate (sure, I'll do it, if you make it really clear that I should, and make it happen the way I want it to) and convince (you know GOD, I did do that service back in January, and I could do so many other things and...). I like to think I have a bit more intelligence than a body of water... I like to think that the fact that my GOD has 'blessed my socks off' has given me the motivation and the courage to trust HIM and do as HE says. I expect my kids to know that I have their best interest at heart, that they can trust that I would never do anything to harm them, or ask them to do anything that was wrong or hurtful. Can't I trust the same from the GOD who created the world with HIS voice? The Father who sent HIS son to save us from ourselves.If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Luke 11:11 If I love my kids enough to never steer them wrong, there is no chance of GOD ever steering one of HIS children wrong.

Lord, thank you for being One we can trust. When everything else fails, You are still there, still the same, still loving and caring for us. When the storm is raging, You are there to calm it with the sweet sound of Your voice. In JESUS' name. Amen.

No comments: