A Journey of Faith

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Wonder of the Cross

 I was at church early last night and borrowed the cross that we use for the 'alter' for the mid week service to take some pictures. I took a bunch outside, some with various plants around the church grounds, and a few with our church in the background. I like this one, with the steeple and the sky in the background. It just seems like it somehow captures the connection between Heaven and The Church and our Savior.
Then we recently got a new praise and worship cd with a song that I really love. It's called The Wonder of the Cross (video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpmknKz7um4 )

Here are the words:

The Wonder of the Cross by Vicky Beeching

O precious sight, my Savior stands.
                 Dying for me with outstretched hands
          O precious sight, I love to gaze
       Remembering salvation's day
        Remembering salvation's day
                 Though my eyes linger on this scene
                 May passing time and years not steal
               The power with which it impacts me
                the freshness of it's mystery
                the freshness of it's mystery

           May I never lose the wonder, 
          the wonder of the cross
          May I see it like the first time
standing as a sinner lost
                  Undone by mercy and left speechless
                Watching wide eyed at the cost
                May I never lose the wonder
               the wonder of the cross

               Behold the God-man crucified
               The perfect sinless sacrifice
                     As blood ran down those nails and wood
                 History was split in two
                   yes history was split in two
                   Behold the empty wooden tree 
                    His body gone, alive and free
                      We sing with everlasting joy
                     for sin and death have been destroyed
                     yes sin and death have been destroyed


                        May I never lose the wonder, 
                        the wonder of the cross
                       May I see it like the first time
                    standing as a sinner lost
                       Undone by mercy and left speechless
                     Watching wide eyed at the cost
                     May I never lose the wonder
                         the wonder of the cross


Over the course of my life, I have doubted many things. I have doubted my intelligence, I have doubted my abilities. I have doubted my sanity, and my desire to fight. I have doubted that I could ever make a difference, for those around me, and for my God. But there are a few things I have never doubted, no matter how bad I feel, or how hopeless things seemed. One is my love for my husband and children, and my husband's love for me... I am so blessed that GOD put them in my life. The other is my GOD and Savior. I still think of that day two thousand years ago, when my sins nailed HIS hands to a tree, and my heart skips a beat. I think of the love that put HIM there, the love that made the ultimate sacrifice so that this life will someday be a faded memory as I bask in HIS glory. I pray that I never ever lose the wonder and awe of that amazing love and grace. I pray that I will always be left speechless at the thought that HE loves me so deeply that HE gave Himself for me, to spend eternity with me. 

This is another picture I took last night. I like it because it shows some of the things that mean a lot to me at my church. I love the cross. I love the organ because I love hymns. And I love communion. 





No comments: