A Journey of Faith

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ok, a little homeschoolers humor :)

So I have been reading this blog: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ that is really very good. I have been accused of being too overprotective (rightfully so) but even I am not as bad as some of the things she posts about. The kids and I were talking about one of the things she talks about, letting your kids walk alone to places like the store or school. When I told them they should be walking to school everyday, littlest duckling pointed out that they do walk to 'school'. So then we had a laugh that they do in fact 'walk to school', even in bad weather, often barefoot, and 'uphill' (also known as going upstairs). It's kind of a family joke. My grandmother will often make 'when I was your age' statements. The 'when I was your age' has evolved into "when I was your age I had to walk 15 miles to school, uphill both ways, in 10 feet of snow, barefoot, fighting off bears and wolves with my lunchbox. Only I didn't have a lunchbox, so I had to pretend I had a lunchbox. Only they didn't believe me, so they ate me. And that's why I'm not here to tell the tale today."
Anyway, I am inspired by this blog, and the concept that our society really does have a 'think the worst and assume it will happen' mentality. So maybe I'll make my kids start walking to the store. Or maybe not, since we live about 10 miles from the nearest store:)

No comments: