A Journey of Faith

Monday, January 16, 2012

Better To Give

This poem is from a book given to me by a friend a few years ago. The book is called GOD's Treasury of Virtues and the poem is called 'Better to Give' by (Anonymous).


Better to Give

GOD gives us joy that we may give;
HE gives us joy that we may share;
Sometimes HE gives us loads to lift
That we may learn to bear.
For life is gladder when we give,
and love is sweeter when we share,
and heavy loads rest lightly too
When we have learned to bear.


One of the wisest things that anyone ever pointed out to me was the fact that everything I have is mine because GOD chose to bless me with it. Whether it is money, talent, time, health, peace of mind, love, joy. HE knows what I need and gives me the things I have for a reason. I once had a bit of a temper. I had just had to have my vehicle towed to the mechanic, and the resulting bill pretty much depleted our small savings. Money that I had set aside so that we would have a 'cushion'. I was so frustrated! I had saved diligently for what seemed like forever so that I could feel like we weren't living paycheck to paycheck, and now it was gone in the blink of an eye. When I vented to my friend that is was unfair that I had saved for so long and now had nothing to show for it, she quietly pointed out that perhaps we had that amount of money in savings because GOD knew that was how much I would need to handle that emergency. Hmmm. Talk about humbling. It was a turning point in my faith. I started seeing things very differently. Instead of grumbling about how little we had and how close to the wire we were financially at times, I started seeing how GOD really does provide what we need when we need it. And I have been more willing to share what we have; realizing that sometimes, GOD gives us something that wasn't intended to remain ours, it was intended for us to give it away, be a blessing to someone else. Recently we went to the midweek service at our church. When the offering basket was passed around I looked over at my two sons. Both boys pulled out their wallets and put money in the basket. Willingly, selflessly,joyfully, and without prompting from my husband or myself. I was so proud of them, and life was certainly made a little sweeter in that moment, I saw love for others in that little gesture. Wow, maybe some of the things we've tried to teach them are sinking in!

LORD, thank YOU for all you give us! For the joy, and the love, and the loads. Thank YOU for helping us learn to share and bear. Help us to joyfully share all YOU have blessed us with, and be a blessing to others in YOUR name. In JESUS' name, Amen.

No comments: