A Journey of Faith

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Do No Harm

Sunday in church we learned the first of three 'rules' as seen by the founder of the Methodist church, John Wesley. The rule is 'do no harm', and as I sat there thinking about the sermon, I kept thinking of this song by Casting Crowns called City on the hill. (lyrics from elyrics, video link on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ5R08xDC6c)

Did you hear of the city on the hill? Said one old man to the other It once shined bright and it would be shining still But they all started turning on each other You see, the poets thought the dancers were shallow And the soldiers thought the poets were weak And the elders saw the young ones as foolish And the rich man never heard the poor man speak And one by one, they ran away With their made up minds, to leave it all behind And the light began to fade, in the city on the hill The city on the hill Each one thought that they knew better But they were different by design Instead of standing strong together They let their differences divide And one by one, they ran away With their made up minds, to leave it all behind And the light began to fade, in the city on the hill The city on the hill And the world is searching still But it was the rhythm of the dancers That gave the poets life It was the spirit of the poets That gave the soldiers strength to fight It was the fire of the young ones It was the wisdom of the old It was the story of the poor man That needed to be told It is the rhythm of the dancers That gives the poets life It is the spirit of the poets That gives the soldiers strength to fight It is the fire of the young ones It is the wisdom of the old It is the story of the poor man That's needing to be told One by one, will we run away With our made up minds to leave it all behind As the light begins to fade, in the city on the hill The city on the hill One by one, we'll be running away With our made up minds, to leave it all behind As the light begins to fade, in the city on the hill The city on the hill Come home And the Father's calling still Come home To the city on the hill Come home

I don't know why that song kept going thru my head. Maybe because it talks about judging others and how that is so harmful and hurtful. Maybe because it is so important to respect our differences, especially as the body of CHRIST. I actually pulled this post for a few days, I didn't like what I had writen, it felt wrong, and didn't really express what I had been thinking. I have a lot of friends and family who aren't Christians. I love them dearly, and want nothing more than for them to come to CHRIST, but am I being the kind of witness that shows them what it is to be a follower of CHRIST? Do they see HIS love and mercy and grace in the way I live my life? Or do they see judgement and hypocrisy? I hope it is the former!! I hope that when they look at me and the way I live my life they feel a hunger to know HIM, that they see HIS light shining in me.

LORD, help me to see the beautiful individuality in each of Your children. Help me not to judge and run away from Your plan and Your light. Please let others see YOU, and YOUR light in the way I live my life. In JESUS' name. Amen

No comments: