A Journey of Faith

Monday, January 16, 2012

Psalm 23

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2HE maketh me to lie down in green pastures:

HE leadeth me beside the still waters.
3HE restoreth my soul: HE leadeth me in the paths of righteousness

for HIS name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for THOU art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.
5THOU preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: THOU anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


I have heard this psalm countless times, read it at the funerals of both my grandfathers, cried when hearing it at other funerals, heard it sung, seen books and cross stitches dedicated to it. It has such meaning and comfort. HE is our shepherd, there to guide and protect us. HE leads us to safety, sometimes thru valleys full of shadows and threats. HE feeds us what we need, spiritually and physically, until we are filled to overflowing. HE is present and active in our lives, even when we don't recognize HIM. Even when we feel isolated and lonely, or overwhelmed and fearful, or rejected and unloved. Even when the shadows in that valley threaten to swallow us, they can't. HE is the light and HE will conquer any shadows before they can consume us.

No comments: